Gentlemen (and the occasional lady ), it's been a while since the last update, but I did manage to get a little work done here and there...
I had 3 lames of each of the rear tateage parts laced up before I decided to "finish" the front part of the do first. With that being out of the way, I turned my attention back to the rear
Now my plan is to concentrate on the right part before doing the left one.
As of now, I'm still unsure if every lame in the rear nakagawa should have the same number of scales or not. In the front, lame 1 and 5 (29) as well as 2 and 4 (30) are the same, while 3 has the highest number with 31 scales. This is necessary to create the "belly shape", but is it also needed on the backside? My tendency is no - any insights on this?
Last Edit: Sept 21, 2017 8:24:15 GMT by David M: Photo re-up
In Germany, there's a saying that goes "Langsam ernährt sich das Eichhörnchen." While it literally translates to "The squirrel feeds slowly", the meaning is more like the squirrel collecting its food nut by nut, in a long process with many small steps... do I need to say more?
Just a quick update here:
Last Edit: Sept 21, 2017 8:25:18 GMT by David M: Photo re-up
It's been awfully long since I've done some real work. To be honest, I've been avoiding to mark and shorten the scales that make up the bottom lame of the right rear part of the do - just because of lazyness But I decided to get it done some days ago, and now I'm back doing what I love...
... lacing! Seems like I'm a little out of practice though...
My plan was to post new photos on the weekend, but then my computer went on a strike. So I will just describe my progress a little and add photos later:
So I "finished" the right rear of the do Friday night, although I have to say that I'm not quite satisfied with how the scales lean to the left, like they do in the last photo of my last post. The piece of horizontal lacing, which probably causes this, goes through the yurugi ito holes, it is there to give some more stability as long as the lame is still uncoated. I laced everything that I had done so far together and thus, I now have 3/4 of a do Another thing bothering me is the hinge, but I'll get to that when I have photos here: it's easier to see than to describe. Stay tuned!
Darnit, as you can most likely see, photobucket suddenly wants me to pay hard money for being able to post my photos here. Time to look for another hosting platform - and then redo all of the photos in this thread
David, Your efforts emphasise how much work went into making an armour. OK, you are having to learn as you go along and they would have had patterns for everything, but it is clear that a lot of different people were involved - the armourer, probably a scale maker, braid maker, lacquerer and so on. Ian
Ian, yes, it's as you say without a doubt. From the very beginning, I never believed that this project would be easy or quickly done. Even now I'm unsure about some things and how to tackle them, but I can't deal with everything at the same time (this is true for my armour project AND the rest of my life as well ). Keeping this in mind helps me not to be too frustrated when there's throwbacks or times where I can't get as much done as I wanted.
Maintaining this thread gives me some motivation not to dawdle around too much, although its effectiveness is... alternating I've signed up with flickr, now I only need to migrate my photos and then replace the links here. Piece of cake, once I get to do it...