I'm working on my mogami sode, and built them with 5 boards (which is within historical paramaters), but they look too short. So I feel I need to add at least one more board to each one. Question is which looks better? I'm 6' with long arms if that makes a difference.
I've already cut, punched, and curved two more boards, and I've mocked them up here just to get a visual (I'll have to relace them with the hishinui no ita on the bottom again when I'm done).
Thanks for all the positive feedback since these caused me much consternation. I tried several different things for the hasso kanamono since I was never able to source suitable replicas. In the end I cheated.
I lucked out on the plates, but they're far from authentic and I'm not 100% satisfied with them. I happened upon an old ceiling lamp (which in America during the 60s-70s had metal fittings) which had a brass ring encircling the glass that I harvested and cut and ground to the appropriate size and shape. You might try looking for something similar at your local thrift store, David.
They look good from a distance, but up close you can tell they lack some of the ornamentation of originals. I'm reading up on chemical etching for my next suit. (Please don't let Dave see the detail in this picture that betrays my non-silk odoshi! This is my first gusoku, although I hear an excellent English source of silk will be in full operation for my next armor...).
For the rivets I experimented with several techniques, but ultimately compromised a half authentic/half modern solution by painstakingly fashioning custom bolts. I purchased brass floral buttons and bolts, clipped off the original "hook" and "head" before soldering them together (I don't know how to weld something this small, the flower is 8mm in diameter...). I slipped them through the kanmuri ita and handtightened the nuts on since too much pressure will break the solder (I'm open to better techniques). So they're structural as the originals were, but also reversible since I can simply loosen the nut. Since the non-historical method is on the inside and doesn't show I'm happy with it (I sewed custom padding panels that fit into the backs of the sode to protect the kote and further hide the nuts).
Nice job. Ive nothing against people making their own suits. Thats how I started. As for Odoshi, I will have cotton and raylon next month, all aimed at the DIY user (thick than silk and much cheaper). If you want one little criticism, the cross-overs should all be the same, top left to bottom right for the upper layer.
Though I'm not part of the SCA I've been heavily relying on the late Anthony J. Bryant's armor construction site. His odoshi page shows it going either way, but since Bottom left to upper right was shown more predominantly and the looked more like kibiki odoshi I went with that.
Cool, thanks for the info Brett! I'm also considering ornamental brass nails for furniture to provide the heads of the hasso byo, we'll see how that works. As for the brass ring from the ceiling lamp: good find! I understand that you're not perfectly happy with the pattern, but it's a good start, no doubt If I can't find anything like that, I guess I'm gonna go with etching - when the time comes
Brett, whatever I decide on, it will show up in my photo diary thread at some point. Probably not in the near future though - unless I get sick of punching holes and want to do something else for distraction