Last weekend, I finally got started with what I've talked about for some time: experimenting with epoxy resin. The goal is to mimic a sabiji nuri effect by mixing particels into the resin, which Ian suggested to me some time ago.
Here's what I did: taking 100gr of epoxy resin and 30gr of hardener, which is the required ratio, I added 3gr of a brown dye (not just any kind, but one for resin coloring). From there, I added more and more ordinary wheat flour into the brew and put some of it on strips of paperboard to see how the different mixtures compared to each other. The amounts of flour were 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 50 and 60gr.
Here's the results:
Now, good folks, I'd like to ask your opinion: which one of these looks the most like the desired sabiji nuri to you? I'm aware that the color might be a little to much chestnut-like, so my main concern is the surface structure. Having a tendency already, but I'll keep it to myself for now in order to see what you think without being biassed Thanks in advance!
Post by Dave Thatcher on Nov 17, 2016 18:40:46 GMT
None of them look like tetsu sabiji-nuri that you find on armour, its more like tataki-nuri
Tetsu Sabiji-nuri is made with mugi-urushi and dried lacquer called Kanshitsu.
You could mimic the effect better if you purchased some Sintered Iron powder which is used as a filler for resin casting. As you would need to dab the effect with a brush I would use a metal paint like hammerite and mix the powder in.
Thanks Dave, I just googled for tataki nuri images and I agree that especially the first two examples look more like that than like sabi nuri...
Sometimes it's weird how in retrospective, you wonder why you did or didn't do stuff in a certain way. Of course I should've tried dabbing the resin instead of just brushing it I think I'm gonna give that another shot, while also researching that sintered iron powder.