Well we can now firmly say that the flat braid odoshi project is now closed.
I've nailed it now. Can make any width from 3mm to 16mm, colours are good, and mimi-to mystery now overcome. My braid is pre-stretched making it superior to the Japanese version. I've now used it to lace a few items and it is, in my opinion and experience the best you can get.
Post by Dave Thatcher on Jul 26, 2017 10:55:25 GMT
Today I'm taking a break from the workshop and urushi. I've decided to run some dye tests on the silk odoshi that I make. Since producing odoshi I've never been entirely happy with the 11 stock colours. They are Japanese dyed, but they are just slightly off when compared to the original veg dyed braid that we see on Armour. I'm happy to say that I've already nailed one colour. Aka, the orange you find on the hishinui cross knots. Today's tests are orange and reds, tomorrow's will be greens.
Post by Dave Thatcher on Jul 26, 2017 20:39:22 GMT
In photo Top, samples from braid shop in kyoto Middle, samples from real armours that I've cut off during restorations. Bottom, todays tests using UK braid.
Dye tests. I'm happy to report that today I actually managed to match some of the original shades used on antique Armour. This has opened the door to being able to provide a more authentic product when required. I've still a lot of testing to do in order to get the greens and blues right. But I'm confident that I'll get there.
It's a good thing you kept all those loose ends from former restorations! Not sure if I'd done it if I was in your place... I gotta say, it's a pleasure seeing you coming up with even more and more ideas for how to perfect the means to bring armour back to life! Especially since it feels truly like "bringing back to life" rather than cloning or zombifying